Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The New York Baguette Search

It's the Holy Grail of French cuisine in the United States: An authentic baguette.  None of this dense, chewy, bland bread they sell in supermarkets or place on your table in restaurants.  I'm talking about a hurt-the-roof-of-your-mouth crunchy on the outside, melt-in-your-mouth airy on the inside, honest to goodness French baguette.  It's a difficult thing to find on this side of the Atlantic, but I'm betting that if they're anywhere, they're in New York City.  Because, really, this city has everything. 


With that in mind, I'm on a mission to find an authentic French baguette in the Big Apple.  My time here is quickly slipping away - only five weeks to go -  so I have to act fast.  If you know of any good places to get authentic French bread in NYC, I'd be happy to hear about it.  In the meantime, I'll be searching Google and the West Village for leads while toting around a jar of Nutella.  Just in case I find a baguette worthy of it. 
To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pretty much gave up in Ottawa. I know places for nice bread but since I'm the only one easting it, it goes dry very fast.