Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Clichés Can Be Fun

I left my apartment Monday night and headed for the bridge that takes me to the Pont de Sèvres metro stop. As I turned out of the stairs that connect Rue Brancas with Grande Rue, I thought I caught a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, all lit up, and looking as awe-inspiring as the first time I saw it nearly six and half years ago. At first, I didn't believe my eyes. I had already taken that route more than a dozen times since arriving in Paris and I had never seen the Eiffel Tower peeking out from behind the buildings like that. As I neared the bridge, I kept trying to see it again, and finally, I did. This time, there was no mistaking it.

I know it's a bit of a cliché, and I've already seen it multiple times before, but I still had to struggle to suppress the urge to scream and jump up and down out of excitement! I mean, it's the Eiffel Tower! It conjures up so many thoughts of romance, adventure, and beauty, especially at night when glows a kind of orange-yellow color and shines it's rotating searchlight over Paris. It gives the whole city a kind of magical feeling.

Later that night, I got to see it at the top of the hour, which is when the tour sheds its regular lighting in favor of hundreds of bright white lights that sparkle like diamonds. This time, I didn't hold back my delight.

2 comments:

Cancemini4 said...

To this day one of my favorite Parisian moments was having a picnic at dusk on the champs beneath the tower, watching the sparkling lights and my friends playing a pickup game of football--so simple, so cliched, but so perfect!

Anonymous said...

I can totally picture you squealing! :-) Miss you here, but happy to hear you're enjoying yourself there. ~Jean