Monday, March 29, 2010

Paris is the Most Expensive City in the World

A friend just tipped me off to a recent report by Economist Intelligence Unit (a sister company of The Economist) that names Paris as the most expensive city in which to live. Their "Most Expensive Cities" graph shows the French capital barely nudging out Tokyo for this dubious distinction. Oslo helps to round out the top three.

I don't know about you, but as someone who has recently spent time living in Paris, I'm not terribly surprised by these findings. For a tourist, there are plenty of ways to do Paris on the cheap, from avoiding hotels, to dining smart. Actually living in the City of Light, however, - paying rent, buying food year round, and maintaining a home - is definitely très cher. And totally worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I'm not surprise. I bet a huge share of the expenses for Parisian is the rent. There aren't very affordable supermarket in the center of Paris either (Monoprix ain't cheap!).

Paris wasn't that bad ten years ago... prices started to rise in the late 90s I think.

Tanya said...

@Zhu, I totally agree with your assessment of Monoprix - cher! Kind of surprising how expensive it is, really. I don't think it's that much nicer than other, cheaper places.

Cancemini4 said...

I concur whole-heartedly, "Totally worth it."