Friday, August 22, 2008

Wait, What's a Timecard?

It's the end of an era. As of this Monday, August 25th, 2008, I will no longer be unemployed. I found a temp job that will last five weeks and will hopefully replenish the bank account that took a beating in Europe. Amazingly enough, the more than six months I spent not working represents the longest stretch of joblessness I've had since I was 14 years old. Those who know me well know that I love having jobs, even multiple jobs, so going without was something of a personal challenge. Could I stand not receiving a paycheck? How long would it take for me to break down and find a peitit boulot in Paris? Well, in the end, I didn't break down and find a "little job." In fact, just the opposite happened. Despite the budgetary restrictions, I loved taking a break from the working world. Now the questions is, how will I handle going back to it?

For starters, I really haven't had to wake up for any particular reason in months. I'm an early bird by nature, so I wasn't sleeping in until noon or anything, but it's just nice to know that when you do wake up you can do whatever you want instead of having to rush around getting ready for work. I'm definitely going to miss that. Secondly, I'm kind of out of practice when it comes to the rituals that accompany work. For example, on the way to the grocery store yesterday I had to ask my sister what people brought to work for lunch. "Ummm, sandwiches and fruit maybe?" she replied. Oh, yeah...I used to do that all the time, but thinking about it didn't come naturally anymore. Then there's the wardrobe issue. I haven't bought work clothes in awhile, and I haven't worn them either. I like not wearing work clothes. I'm a jeans and flip-flops kind of gal. "Business casual" is going to be a serious readjustment.

On the bright side, the cash flow is going to be very helpful. And I love meeting new people and trying new things, both of which will be possible with a new job. It's downtown Minneapolis, which has a great vibe that I'm looking forward to experiencing Monday through Friday, and isn't happy hour that much more rewarding and fun after an 8-hour shift? But being without work has taught me that taking a sabbatical from time to time is a good idea. I relished having time for myself, for my hobbies, for travel, for life! I highly recommend it to anyone who feels they are in a rut or just wants to do something they've been meaning to do if only they didn't have a 9-5. I'm definitely looking forward to saving up for my next big adventure. After all, work isn't everything. Taking time for yourself to do the things you love is a must. Life is short, we should enjoy it! I have a feeling I'll be rudely reminded of this fact when the alarm goes off at 6:30am on Monday morning.

No comments: