Saturday, April 19, 2008

Random Beauty

One of the best things about Paris is that no matter which quartier, voisinage or arrondissement you find yourself in, you are bound to stumble upon eye-catching architecture. Buildings as varied as high-rise apartments, churches, government offices and performance halls are all potential visual delights. You simply never know when your next metro exit will plant you at the steps of a charming 15th century church or whether another painstakingly sculpted façade is just around the corner. Wandering residential neighborhoods can be as much of a sight-seeing trip as a visit to the Eiffel Tower.
I often find myself in awe of large important-looking Parisian buildings I know nothing about. Recently, while wandering though a previously unvisited neighborhood, I stumbled across an imposing structure on the edge of a small municipal park. Rarely without my trusty camera, I quickly snapped a few shots while the sun peeked out from behind the clouds. I wasn't expecting to find it, I didn't approach it to discover its name or history (although it's pretty clear that it's a church), I simply admired it from afar and enjoyed yet another random architectural sighting that most Parisians would probably ignore, but that is bound to stop wide-eyed visitors in their tracks.

No comments: