Sunday, March 23, 2008

Unpredictability

We've been experiencing some very strange weather in Paris as of late. The kind of weather that is impossible to plan or dress for: rainy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon, a bit of hail thrown in at dinnertime for good measure. It's confusing at first, but once you learn never to leave home without your umbrella you're fine. Oh, and bring your sunglasses too...and a hat just in case.

All of this meteorology madness has made me rethink my relocation choices. I always seem to end up in cities with less than desirable weather patterns. Minneapolis is fabulous in the summer, but the winter can be long and depressing. Not to mention bone-chillingly cold. Washington was definitely an improvement, but it's by no means a paradise. August is perfectly miserable, and on the rare occasion it does snow, the whole place goes crazy. Paris is ok, but I'm beginning to understand why so many Frenchwomen wear boots - it rains nearly everyday! Maybe for just a couple of minutes, but you have to be ready for it. Why oh why have I not moved to Miami?

Paris awoke to brilliant sunshine today, which seemed to bode well for tonight's plans. Touring the Seine river by boat is much more agreeable when there is a lack of precipitation. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will last as they're predicting plenty of cold and sleet for this evening. Lucky for me, I never leave home without my umbrella.

No comments: