Monday, March 10, 2008

Rainy Day

After being welcomed to Paris by sunshine and above-average temperatures, I am now doing battle with weather that has settled comfortably into a pattern of cold, wind, and rain. As a result, I myself have decided to settle into a pattern that is all too well-known amongst Minnesotans: hibernation.

This decision stems from my firm belief that there is no need to go outside when horizontal precipitation is present. Umbrellas become useless, it hurts to keep your eyes open, and you have to endure the pity of those riding by in the warm comfort of their cars. Just walking from the bus to my apartment is unpleasant in such conditions. Luckily, saying inside on a rainy day is one of life's simple pleasures. Who doesn't like cozying up with a hot beverage and a good book? Or a movie you've been meaning to see? Or some household chores that have long been neglected? Such days can give us an excuse to tune out the outside world and enjoy some much needed "me" time.

While this current state of nesting is in no way facilitating my desire to explore Paris on foot, it is doing wonders for my scholarly commitments. Without the distractions of wandering through parks, shopping leisurely in commercial neighborhoods, or sitting on café terraces, I am free to pursue homework, research, and other activities more befitting a grad student...all the while anxiously awaiting the next sunny day.

No comments: