Monday, April 26, 2010

Georgetown French Market

This past Sunday, the Georgetown Business Improvement District hosted what they called the Georgetown French Market. Promising a "café, crêpes and croissants," "quaint shops, galleries and boutiques," the market was mostly a chance for businesses between P Street and Reservoir Road to sell goods at discounted prices. To be fair, the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., does have a rather European feel to it, even on days without French markets. The proximity of the French Embassy and the inexplicable way the area seems to draw Francophones from across the city ups its la France quotient, but the market itself wasn't much to write home about. That said, they did have café and crêpes (plus the usual Georgetown weekend crowds), and I did have fun spotting French things and taking pictures of them. Here's what I found:






























5 comments:

City Discovery said...

Hi!

I'm a travel writer for City-Discovery.com and Viakeo.com and I just want you to know that we have launched our first photo contest called "I Love My City." I was reading some of your posts and was amazed at the photos you have on your site. Anyway, if you have time, do check out:

http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/30831. Maybe you or your readers will be one of the fifty lucky winners of travel activities worth US$3000 on our site.

Thanks and more power to your blog!

Mary Ann Grisham said...

Hi Tanya, thanks for the update of French Market, DC style. Love the accordian player!

Mary Ann
@enchantedtravel
www.enchanted-traveler.com

Unknown said...

I'm sad I couldn't make it there. Would have loved a merguez sandwich!

Anonymous said...

Are merguez really French? For some reason, I'm not sure!

Tanya said...

@Zhu, Well...technically they're Moroccan, right? But every BBQ my Parisian friends threw while I lived there included massive amounts of merguez, so it's definitely part of the French scene these days.